OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Sharing between OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business

One should be able to share a file from a OneDrive Personal Account to a OneDrive for Business Account.

Right now, the shared file doesn't appear in the receivers Business Account, but only in the Personal Account. But that is useless for people using Business primarily.

Example:

A private person owns a OneDrive Personal Account. He/She wants to share project files to a company, which will then work with these files. Sadly the files don't appear in the OneDrive for Business Account of the employee of the company, but they appear in the employees personal Account and mix up with his family pictures, music, whatever. If the company doesnt allow their employees to use their personal accounts when they are on the job, the employee wont be able to do the project and the company would have to reject the customer.

1,801 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
improver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

147 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Craig Lambie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@douglas-pearce almost 2 years of thinking - what has MS come up with?
    I would really like to start using OneDrive instead of Dropbox, but these issues cause me to stay with Dropbox even though it is starting to not work as well - it still works a lot better than OneDrive.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Douglas Pearce svarede · 30. november 2016:
    Thanks for the suggestion. We agree and this is something we’re looking at."

- You are working too slow to keep up with anything in this world; Sad to see Microsoft loosing.

Also, if you share a OneDrive for Business folder with an external user, using a Live account, they can only access the files on the web, which sucks compared to syncing them with the client.

• Oliver Grobs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@douglas Pearce
    Do you still listen? There are people out there who need this feature! This is the users voice!
    Two years thinking?

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Obviously there are some considerations wrt users circumventing the costs associated with OneDrive for Business and Personal wrt to the different costs, but this needs some consideration given the nature of the divide between work and home. Two years with nothing to show for it suggests this is a place ideas go to die.

For example, here are some potential solutions to your problem. You could:
    - Make users associate a personal account with a business account (and dissociate on either end when the employee moves on).
    - Associate user data against the business' directory of employees.
    - Limit the functionality of accessibility on the personal (cheaper) side.
    - Define the access parameters
    - At least relax the sharing requirements between users/businesses who are paying customers (aka restrict free accounts).

At least one of those would be a good launch-off point to polish.

Ultimately, with all the training literature trying to push business' more onto the cloud, business users need to hedge their bets due to accessibility concerns. If an external contractor is going to use OpenOffice or Libre, I can't control their processes, and thus can't force them to conform (since it would ultimately be at my own expense). In that scenario, I would then need to hire additional document control personnel to coordinate the management of information since there are extra hoops to jump through (as I can't have an engineer or manager sitting around porting documents), which I'm really not going to do when things need to run leaner these days, not heavier.

• Garth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It something that should be done by now it such a big hole in the system. Looks like dropbox is still the way to go

• phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My school just switched to OneDrive business but now we cant share folders from our personal onedrive accounts to our business ones - advise please!

• UdoJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi MS

That's really a feature our customers are waiting for. Not everyone is using an O365 account where sync is already possible.

Thanks
    Udo

• iJohnnyCash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah I need this feature also!!
    I can't even exchange files between my university and personal account!

But we as user, we have to admit that this is also a security holes. What if the policy of company is very strict and doesn't want to allow any external movement of the files, for example if you are not at least in a specific rank/position.

• Roland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please sort this out. I've heard of several people who have moved back to Dropbox because of this pointless restriction!

• Henry M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was sharing a folder using my One Drive Business Account but then someone using One Drive Personal is not able to Sync the folder into the account. How can we solved this ? People wants to have it in the computer not online....

• Nils commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is needed in the sharing world of 2018.... this we really need please work on it!

Please can we get this, I have migrated to Onedrive for Business and it is causing issues with sharing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base