OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Sharing between OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business

One should be able to share a file from a OneDrive Personal Account to a OneDrive for Business Account.

Right now, the shared file doesn't appear in the receivers Business Account, but only in the Personal Account. But that is useless for people using Business primarily.

Example:

A private person owns a OneDrive Personal Account. He/She wants to share project files to a company, which will then work with these files. Sadly the files don't appear in the OneDrive for Business Account of the employee of the company, but they appear in the employees personal Account and mix up with his family pictures, music, whatever. If the company doesnt allow their employees to use their personal accounts when they are on the job, the employee wont be able to do the project and the company would have to reject the customer.

1,866 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
improver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

151 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Yangbin Ma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And it almost TWO YEARS since MS "is looking at it". Very impressive! MS is dreaming everyone to have a Business OneDrive account as well as personal.

• Yangbin Ma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this feature is not available even on a paid version? I recently started using OneDrive for business, hoping that I can collaborate with my clients (who are mainly using personal Onedrive), until I realise it is impossible to share/sync folders between business and personal. What a great disappointment Microsoft!

• Joe Tonge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll add my support for this feature. It's not a security issue, because I can send a link from either my personal or my business OneDrive and access it on either end from a web browser. It's just inconvenient, because I don't have a perpetual folder that syncs across devices using different platforms.

It is annoying and MS competitors are making it much more convenient to use their services instead.

• Dennys Dugarte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous, and to some degree unacceptable. The administrator should determine whether the folder is restricted to only company members or the folder is open to shared and sync with any personal account.

Now the business is using the personal account for the sharing and collaboration purpose of the business. And we are using the business storage for the personal as we can not shared with other personal account or other business. So stupid!

• Yves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a CPA working with individual clients who need to send me PERSONAL information. So they are using a PERSONAL one drive account!! What am I supposed to do ? To ask my clients to use dropbox or googledrive instead of onedrive ?

• marwerno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There IS a solution using Symlinks.
    I use these nowadays quite a fair bit to overcome all these stupid limitations of the various cloud services.
    Simply create a Symlink that points to your OneDrive Personal within your OneDrive for Business folder. (Search for it on the web, I am using the free software "Symlink creator" which makes it easy and does not require any DOS entry).
    What happens:
    OneDrive personal dumps the files into the Picture folders on OneDrive personal. Since the Symlink in your Business OneDrive thinks this is "his" folder, it will also be automatically be uploaded to the OneDrive for Business account. The benefit of this solution is clear: No extra space needed. The operating systems thinks that the pictures are at 2 locations.
    Word of caution:
    Of course anything you do in one folder, also happens in the other! It really is just ONE copy of the file(s) even so they appear in 2 locations!

• Gus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Microsoft Fix this problem we need give access to our clients with OneDrive Personal.

• USC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

highly disappointing. shortly before moving back to dropbox. can't deliver to my client which so unprofessional!

• Eddy F. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was hoping to get rid of Google Drive and Dropbox in favor of OneDrive, but I didn't realize until today that Personal and Business truly don't mix. This is not good, and it's made worse by the fact that this idea is almost two years old.

Can we please have a solution to this?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surprisingly stupid or clever move by Microsoft to DISALLOW sharing between OD4P and OD4B.

• Stjepan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only Microsoft can come up with something so user unfriendly as this.
    I use OneDrive. I have a folder. I need to share that folder with someone to work together. I find a share option, type their email, expect to share it. It doesn't work. Like I didn't share anything. I don't even know if one of us is using "business one drive" and the other "personal one drive". Why should I know this?!?

I wouldn't try to share OneDrive folder to someone using GoogleDrive. Or to someone's DropBox. But for duck sake, I expect, if there is an option to "share" in OneDrive to be able to share with OTHER ONEDRIVE USERS.

If they are different products, and not the same WHY FOR DUCK SAKE GIVING THEM THE SAME NAME!?!?!"#%!#"

Yes you can share it but you can not sync it.....

If a business user shares a folder with a personal user
    No. As the business shared folder will not show up in the personal OneDrive “shared” section, the personal user can’t click “add to my OneDrive” to sync it.

If a personal user shares a folder with a business user
    No. As the personal shared folder will not show up in the OneDrive for Business “shared with me” section, the business user can’t click sync to sync it.

If a business user shares a folder with a business user
    Yes. As the business shared folder will show up in the OneDrive for Business “shared with me” section, the business user can select the folder to sync it.

If a personal user shares a folder with a personal user
    Yes. As the personal shared folder will show up in the personal OneDrive “shared” section, the personal user can click “add to my OneDrive” to add the folder to “File” section to sync it.

(copied from : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onedrivefb-mso_win10-mso_o365b/onedrive-business-able-to-sync-shared-folders/4c12bdf4-6a07-4336-a11b-4d658e3c7e97)

I have a project on onedrive for business that I would like to share with my onedrive personal account. Is this really not possible?!

Come on Microsoft...we are all rooting for you here, your competitors are forging ahead GET ON IT, PLEEEAASE!

Something really needs to be done here. A lot has been invested and something that seems simple has taken years to be noticed/acknowledged. Please provide us a fix.

Feedback and Knowledge Base