OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Sharing between OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business

One should be able to share a file from a OneDrive Personal Account to a OneDrive for Business Account.

Right now, the shared file doesn't appear in the receivers Business Account, but only in the Personal Account. But that is useless for people using Business primarily.

Example:

A private person owns a OneDrive Personal Account. He/She wants to share project files to a company, which will then work with these files. Sadly the files don't appear in the OneDrive for Business Account of the employee of the company, but they appear in the employees personal Account and mix up with his family pictures, music, whatever. If the company doesnt allow their employees to use their personal accounts when they are on the job, the employee wont be able to do the project and the company would have to reject the customer.

1,794 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
improver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

146 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guess I'll just head over to Google drive and get the functionality that is needed.

• Chris B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I volunteer for a nonprofit organization and used OneDrive personal very effectively in a comprehensive textbook rewrite. I switched to the business OneDrive because I was already using it for Outlook exchange. Took a lot of work to switch over. Now I cannot communicate with the group through OneDrive. This is a major problem. This must be resolved if OneDrive is to be what it shoudl be.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft!!! As a cloud partner selling office 365, I have just found a customer cannot share a OD for Business folder with their accounts person under their OD Personal. Not only that the business person cannot even create a OD personal under their domain email. This is really sloppy!!!!

I am clueless here. how come I can not even see the folder that I shared from my business account to my personal account? It opens in a new account instead of merging!

• Øistein Kjos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reason why onedrive and onedrive for business don't talk to each other is that onedrive for business is not a onedrive. It's sharepoint with a fancy face.

This is like skype and skype for business. Microsoft is tricking you to think they are two versions of the same program by using the same name but they are independet non-compatible solutions.

We're going back to dropbox because of this.

The reply from Microsoft "We agree and this is something we’re looking at - 2016" should be enough of a warning

Any update on this? I thought this should have been a minimum required feature and not just something people need to ask for (it has been years now)

My company's IT Dept. updated my Office on Work PC from 2013 to 2016/365 and now I can't add personal OneDrive to Offices on Work PC. I was able to do so with Office 2013 and was extreeeeeemly useful.

I guess it is time to go back to old school thumb drive file sharing.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is an issue for me as well. Want to have my personal file in OD but want to share with a couple of people who only have OD for Biz accounts. After IT worked on this for an hour, they left and found this article. I hope MS will fix this.

When we used Google docs there where no issues in sharing. Now people has to search around for those super long Urls in their mail to find something that is shared between business users and other users. There should be a shared with me button somewhere that not only reflects the sharing within the organization, but also with partners. Very bad sharing.

• Hesham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

According to Microsoft support it is not possible to share between personal and business accounts. But there are many other possible things you can achieve what you want to do:
    - You can have more than one personal account and more than one business account all installed on the same computer(s), tablet or even mobile
    - You can specify which folders to sync from each account on each computer separately
    - You can share between personal accounts and you can share between business accounts
    Using these options I managed to achieve all sort of sharing I need without any confidentiality or security issues

Very frustrating. Here is something similar. I share a folder to folks that use onedrive live and have a outlook.com - hotmail or something from MS. This shared folder is not visible as a shared to me thing. I share it from onedrive or business 365, which looks like it has different functionality from onedrive for persons even if the name are the same. There are something called "our files" Here is ALL FILES showed as one flat list. Almost useless. Sharing must be improved.

Yes, this is a major problem, I spent hours troubleshooting only to just now find this thread :(

• Barbara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could see both personal and business accounts on both home and work computers, until my office upgraded to Windows 10. What changed?

This is very much confusing..
    I shared a onedrive for business folder with my personal account. It shows the folder online, but not in my personal onedrive: in the original onedrive for business, but using my personal account!
    What a mess!

• Eddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, the amount of gotchas I gotten since switching from gmail to o365 is astounding... Man I drunk the kool-aide and not liking all the issues...

• Octavio Pittaluga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just switch from Google to MS and I’m so disappointed.
    I understand they don’t care about the free options, but what they don’t understand is that they are affecting the small businesses which are paying for their services.
    Please stop playing around with us and be serious in this topic.

ARE YOU FINISHED WORKING ON THIS?? I JUST CHANGED MY COMPANY TO OUTLOOK FROM GOOGLE AND I AM DISAPOINTED TO SAY THE LEAST BY THIS. I ALREADY PAID A YEARS SUBSCRIPTION. I WANT MONEY BACK...

• Jan Demel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Possible User Stories:

1. Company has Business Onedrive accounts and want to collaborate with someone outside of the company without a business account. Now they cannot add folders from personal Outlook account into their business accounts and vice versa.

2. User works in the company with Business Onedrive and wants to add a folder from his personal account so that he has regular access to it via file explorer (some photos, home work, personal music collection or whatever). Now he can't.

I don't understand why this isn't possible. With Google Drive it was easy to share between personal and business accounts.

Feedback and Knowledge Base