OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Sharing between OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business

One should be able to share a file from a OneDrive Personal Account to a OneDrive for Business Account.

Right now, the shared file doesn't appear in the receivers Business Account, but only in the Personal Account. But that is useless for people using Business primarily.

Example:

A private person owns a OneDrive Personal Account. He/She wants to share project files to a company, which will then work with these files. Sadly the files don't appear in the OneDrive for Business Account of the employee of the company, but they appear in the employees personal Account and mix up with his family pictures, music, whatever. If the company doesnt allow their employees to use their personal accounts when they are on the job, the employee wont be able to do the project and the company would have to reject the customer.

1,729 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
improver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

139 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andrei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft just can't do this. OneDrive for personal is an application, similar with Dropbox. On the other hand, OneDrive for Business is a completly other application: it's SHAREPOINT!. So... is restricted by design.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How could the answer to this be "thanks for the suggestion"?
    Did you really not plan this from the start?

I work for a company so I have a company OneDrive account.
    I also have a home OneDrive account.
    It is so simple... I want to be able to share folders from my home account so I can open them in my company account. Why can't I just do this?
    And why don't you make it clear if people can't do this... hundreds or thousands of people are wasting thousands of hours trying to do it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work with a large state government organisation. This issue is such a problem that staff have stopped using OneDrive and have switched over to other solutions like Google Drive.

Microsoft you are being left behind here.

Microsoft is going to lose customers with this.

My organisation is currently trying to utilize the Office 365 for business packages, but after being so heavily invested in the products already, it still feels that we hit a roadblock every time we take a step. Most of the issues seem to be imposed by Microsoft as manipulative ways of squeezing more money out of their customer base.

News flash Microsoft: You are currently breaking your own applications and making it impossible for users to manage joint venture projects with other organisations. Instead of winning the other companies trust you are showing them that they need a team of staff to manage MS product issues and after that the system still won't work. From stunts like this to removing public download links for sharepoint documents or partially blocking MS Project functionality in the cloud, your customers are fed up, your systems are inefficient and the only reason you even have a clientele is because of Outlook, because for every other app the competition blows you away. Our partners are now forcing us onto DropBox Pro anyway (OneDrive sucks according to them), so I think it's only a matter of time before we dump Office altogether...

• TV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad I found all these comments, since I have just wasted hours trying to troubleshoot why I could not share a personal file with my small business file. Really disappointed in this and Microsoft's obvious lack of concern. I'm afraid I made a mistake in deciding to use 365 for business and will NOT recommend to my associates.

I want this for a similar reason. I previously did some work things on my personal account, just some personal things like reviews and such. We didn't have oneDrive at work. Now we do. So I thought, "Oh, I'll just share the folder with myself." But no, you can't do that. You can Share it, but only on the web. I can't add that to sync in any way.

The trouble, from MS point of view, is that some companies would use the personal accounts instead of business accounts. They Want you to pay extra for the business accounts (even though they are exactly the same). Adobe does the same thing. They charge you 20 extra bucks a month for the convenience of being able to manage the users.

I get it, but get creative Douglas. Limit the number of non-personal shares or something. OR just say that the shares between personal and business are not private from Microsoft, if shared from the personal side. I'd be like...Whoa, what? Can't use that for business then.

In my case that solution would work, but be annoying I'd have to share it from the opposite side. So I'd copy my data to business, and share it with personal. I wouldn't like that, but it would at least be a compromise so you all could still keep your money grubbing fingers in our pockets.

Or, you know, you could just let people work together.

My other big complaint is your skype method. We all hate it because it doesn't work with skype personal. The big companies have skype, but none of the other ones do, and the web interface is bad. So people are still using gotomeeting and similar.
    This problem feels very similar. Oh, and any sort of messaging system? Yeah, we just all use google chat. Because any microsoft solution is garbage. MS just hasn't figured out how to mix personal/business.

"Thanks for the suggestion. We agree and this is something we’re looking at."

After 6 months still no answer?!

Are you kidding me?

I Change to a professional cloud storage Service like Dropbox or anything else.

• Oz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this please. This is rendering OneDrive useless for small businesses.

• Gonzalo Garcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is one of the things Dropbox does absolutely perfect. I run into trouble today trying to do this and the quick solution was to give my login and password to the other people.

Please get this done fast.

• Janna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why hasn't this been updated yet? So many people have this same problem!

I am facing the same issue!!

From Onedrive for Business, I can not share documents and folders to external users!!

There should be a solution, you should have some kind of auto generated code to be sent to participants/coworkers.. so they can access/view/edit files...

• Jason Blanchard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This a number one request for our staff as well... except sharing files from Business account. People keep using Dropbox because anyone can download the client and sync files... Right now Business users share a file out of OneDrive for Business and if you are not staff... you can only use the link or download the file...

• shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great! i had a onedrive personal account i worked on for some work items. I want to send them to our new business onedrive account we opened but it wont let me share and then add them to the business account. I dont want employees accessing my personal account, so not being able to share to my business account is very frustrating. I tried downloading but the file is far to large.

• Marcelo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C'mon! This is basic! Comparatively, it's like saying spreadsheets created on Office Home Edition's Excel cannot be opened in Office Business's Excel. Makes no sense!

• Simon Raihani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

following Microsoft's decision to restrict the OneDrive storage space for standard MS Account to 5GB, I decided that I should attempt to use my 1TB Office 365 account upload business photos instead of a private account. I therefore carried out a hard set on one of my three Windows 10 phones and set it up with an "Onmicrosoft.com account. We as a company, have approximately 30 Office 365 licenses and NONE of us actually use OneDrive for anything!! Using it to upload our business photos would have been very useful! I am saying "Would have been" because the functionality that allows photos to to uploaded automatically to a private MS account OneDrive (Photos/Settings/Manage OneDrive upload settings) is basically disabled for Work or School Accounts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

This turns out to be by design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Got it straight from Microsoft.....)

I think it would be a great idea if MS would enable this functionality for MS Work accounts.

Regards

Simon

1 2 3 4 5 7 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base