OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Disable Sharing in OneDrive for Business ENTIRELY

For our company it's a Must-Have to be have the option to disable the sharing on ODfB entirely (also tenant internal).
This is to prevent users from setting up project or team workspaces in their own user drives.
A similar idea was posted here, but since it was not splitted up by the user, I posted this new one.
https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/11382111-disable-sharing

344 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
SPRubi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about if they just make a folder that you can not share from?

• Philippe Belley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Microsoft is shy on answering our request, I decided to call my TAM and have the request sent to the development team. Here is their answer :

« No, we've received this request before. Thanks for the feedback. OneDrive is built for collaboration and it's a core part of the user experience and value proposition. Unfortunately, we have no plans to block sharing completely. »

So I guess we can forget about it ! But it would have been easier if Microsoft could find the courage to answer us on the uservoice right away instead of letting us linger for two year without saying a word. It's a shame.....

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sent the following back to MS:

Just had another thought on why the option to disable sharing on OneDrive completely.

As i've already mentioned, students will be students and there will come a time when bullying gets out of hand. A student could easily in a lesson upload an edited image of someone, get the link and send this link to anyone. How do you think this would make the victim feel? We as administrators in schools need to do everything we can to prevent students this kind of thing. Having the ability to prevent this from happening on OneDrive ticks another box to say that OneDrive is safe to use.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had a follow up email from MS regarding this and here was my response - apologies if i've missed something, but i've come at this from an Educational Network Manager point of view:

There are various improvements that are required in OneDrive when used education.

-> sharing is a big deal for example student coursework. I totally understand that OneDrive is mainly for collaberation however there maybe times when students will try to share documents with other students and submit as their own. There are times when students cannot be trusted not to share files and folders.

I have tried implementing mailflows that block the notification to other students but this doesn't work.

Maybe Students and staff both need to have a Private area that stops files or folders from being shared.

I feel we Administrators need to setup rules within OneDrive. There should be a rule for example that prevents group "Students" been able to share documents with members in the same group or who are also a student but able to share the document(s) with group "staff" or "teachers".

Both staff and students may have files on OneDrive that must not be shared at all even if they do try to to share them.

-> the ability to specify what file types are allowed or denined to to shared or even stored on OneDrive. Students will be students - some can be trusted however others cannot be trusted. Having an option to block and allow file tyoes that can be shared would be a grear advantage, even the ability to block and allow file types from being uploaded and downloaded to OneDrive.

-> if files or folders are shared, would it be possible to set in options of sharing to only allow download of the files once. I understand this could be difficult to set up but would be great if this could be done - maybe this could be done with a cookie to disable access to the folder or file one already accessed if set as anonymous

-> options for owners to set permissions so that those who are reading the file cannot re-share the shared files or folders. Make the permissions easier for users to use rather than opening up the complicated sharepoint settings. Users will not use it if it's complicated.

-> share a folder and let users add to it but not read, delete or download files that are already there. Having the granular settings on OneDrive as a folder share on a server is a must.

-> whilst on the subject of sharing, a way to prevent access to files or folders that if accessed outside the company's external IP address(es), access is denined. I see that this feature is already there for the entire tennant however there may be files and folders that must remain on OneDrive without being downloaded or accessed from any IP address but the specified external addess(es).

-> prevent files and folders from being downloaded. If a file cannot be opened in the browser it should not be able to be downloaded. I have tested this with a .m4a file and set it to not able to download. The "SaveAs" box is displayed when it's played - massive fail.

As lots have mentioned on Uservoice about OneDrive administration and sharing, maybe this is the time that the Microsoft OneDrive Managers and Developers could make OneDrive great by listening to it's users. To move home directories and organisational shares on file servers to OneDrive for users, onedrive needs the above and more to be implemented before we can fully move our user's home drives and folder shares to onedrive.

• Russell Dodson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be useful for schools where they just want to provide online storage, without any kind of 'communication' functionality. We can remove exchange licences to get rid of e-mail, but we can't stop sharing of documents. Ideally this would be configurable on a per user and per group basis.

• Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like a "private" folder that items could not be shared from. If you want to share something in the "private" folder it would have to be deliberately moved to another folder. We want to make sure anything shared for onedrive is deliberate

• Philippe Belley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft you are thinking about ideas for OneDrive that received less votes than this. Are you really listening to us ???

• Elie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Philipe Belley , This is a must have for the deployment inside our company. Without this, this is a no-go

• Sebastien Lapointe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This requirement is a must in an enterprise that wants to use OneDrive for data stocking and Sharepoint for collaboration purposes.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base