OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Request that someone sends a file to me

I (and my users) often need to request large files from a contact outside my organization, but Office 365 and OneDrive do not provide this functionality in a simple way. Microsoft support tells me to “either create a shared Sharepoint site or ask the other party to upload files to their own OneDrive and share the file”. Both of these “solutions” require the other party to have a Microsoft ID and force me into the awkward position of being a Microsoft evangelist (as I tell them how to get a Microsoft ID, upload the file, and then share it with me).

It would be so much better if I could request files with a true “drop box” link; a reverse-sharing link that allows outsiders to drop files into my OneDrive storage similar to the key drop box at vehicle repair shops. I believe this would require Write-Only permissions for an external user.

For example, an auto insurance agent needs pictures of an accident from a customer using a secure method. They can email a ‘file request link’ to the customer, who can easily upload files to a folder in the insurance companies OneDrive storage.
I apologize in advance if posting a link to competitor’s functionality is considered bad etiquette, but I have experience with other file sharing services who have provided this functionality for a while. This video by ShareFile explains the functionality in better detail: http://support.citrixonline.com/ShareFile/help_files/SF040027

Thank you!

2,208 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Abiel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

127 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gilles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature sometimes called "File Deposit Link" is very usefull.
        They are disposable links, which expires in a short time.
        We intend to buy NetExplorer to do this.
        We cannot manage shared folder for thousands of clients with in each different departments.
        Each department is related to a different departement in our organization.
        It will be a full time job to manage users access rights.

• Alejandro Morcate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to join the call for this feature. It fragments the user experience, not to mention the compliance headache that exists when people resort to personal accounts for this. Our company uses sharefile only for this purpose, having plenty of cloud storage already available in OneDrive for Business.

• Jason Jentzsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropbox has had this function for a longtime and used to use it all the time. Hope that this can be added to OneDrive.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this, it's the one thing that stops us from banning DropBox etc on our network and it's a nightmare!

• Rohde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reason this isn't implemented is because Dropbox owns a patent on it. Look up US10102388B2 .

And write your congressman or senator to stop software patents like this.

• Giovanni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a feature that should have already been implemented since long time. Microsoft please add to your pipeline as soon as possible.
        Thanks!

• Trevor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a little disheartening that this idea is four years old and we're still only 'thinking about it' - ShareFile have got the implementation and aesthetic exactly right, and this is a function that my users are crying out for - please move up the timeframe on some kind of implementation of a document request system.

• Hüseyin Gültekin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upload only folder would be a good option.
        If we can set a password (non MS account) with (write only/read/edit permissions to for a specific folder would be great.

• Nik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this request, Microsoft. I love OneDrive but I find myself using Dropbox very often with clients to request files from them.

• Rob Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My client sometimes needs to get large files from their clients. They have Office 365 and from a security point of view, keeping everything within OneDrive is a big audit tick. The lack of this very useful features means my client *has* to use Dropbox

• Andrew Almond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We desperately need this feature. I don't understand why Microsoft decides to make tons of changes that nobody wants, meanwhile it ignores features that make a ton of sense and are demanded by customers.

• rahul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this feature needed on onedrive. It is super simple on Dropbox

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a teacher, I need this feature as well. I want my students to upload documents to a specific folder but not be allowed to delete or edit the other documents from other students. I do not need to create 500 folders with individual permissions that I must sort through in order to access each student's paper. That's absurd. This should be a simple fix.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed feature for a business solution like this. Hope to see it soon!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base