OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Prevent shared files from being downloaded

I think it would be great if there was some setting to turn download's of a shared file or folder ON\OFF... what I mean is suppose I want to share a File\Folder with someone, I would only want them to be able to view\edit it online and not be able to download it onto their computer.. to take this idea further, it could also be helpful if you could prevent copying content from shared files... the download permission could probably be visible once a user decides to share a particular file with someone

2,261 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    elwin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminEugene Lin (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

At SharePoint Conference North America this past May, we demonstrated the ability to create and send sharing links that blocks recipients from downloading the file. In this first iteration, this feature will be supported for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents.

We will be shipping this to OneDrive for Business and SharePoint users later this year.

207 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@elv will the release of this feature be only for word, excel, and powerpoint or all file types? I need to protect video files (MP4s).

I want to be able to share videos, but prevent downloading. When will that functionality be available?

• Gene Oddside commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I urgently need this. Currently setting up an S3 insurance just because it's missing on SharePoint Online.
        There's no way I will implement Azure Information Rights Management and pay AAD Premium licenses. Besides, that's not working for Mac clients.

Any updates regarding this feature request ??
        We now have password protected links, automatic link expirations - ensuring what actions can be done on a shared link - is the missing thing in completing a fully managed sharing of folders.

When will you guys support that scenario?

• Errol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this feature to be implemented as well. I am slowly moving from Gsuite to Microsoft 365 but this one limitation is holding me up.

Please let this be a feature soon.

I want my contacts to be able to fill in an Excel-sheet, without beeng able to steel the Whole workbook.

• Firdaush commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure what there is to think about? Maybe just a new subscription add-on? Price? Less load on the severs should cost money.....

• Zach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be an extremely useful feature for our business

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we will get this disable function? It has been discussed for 3 years long.

Please Ryan, the feature to let someone view a file without being able to edit or download said file is as plain as the nose on your face. To make things even more confusing, if you choose “view only” you’re allowing the recipient the power to edit, share & download. This flies in the face of basic logic. “View only” should mean exactly that! Were the programmers all hung over that day
        Google has no problem with this feature, what’s your excuse.
        WE THE PEOPLE, YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT...
        VIEW ONLY. recipient cannot edit or download. This applies to folders or individual files.
        SHARE. recipient can can view & edit.
        SHARE ALL recipient can view, edit & download.

I guess I should have been a programmer.

• HateApple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simple answer is don't use Microsoft , There are many cheaper options. Do your homework.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base