OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Prevent shared files from being downloaded

I think it would be great if there was some setting to turn download's of a shared file or folder ON\OFF... what I mean is suppose I want to share a File\Folder with someone, I would only want them to be able to view\edit it online and not be able to download it onto their computer.. to take this idea further, it could also be helpful if you could prevent copying content from shared files... the download permission could probably be visible once a user decides to share a particular file with someone

2,507 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    elwin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Users will be able to share a link to Office documents that blocks recipients from downloading copies but still allows them to view the document in Office Online.

Users can create links that block download by using the common Sharing experience that exists across Office 365. By going into Link Settings they’ll be able to toggle the “block download” option for view-only links.

We’ll be gradually rolling this out to customers in late November, and the roll out will be completed worldwide by the end of January.

221 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the addition of sender-defined features for download and secondary sharing permissions - for both documents and videos. Looking forward to seeing the updates.

• Gabe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this essential permission? Google Drive has it.
        Video files would be critical for us.

• Bert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having this feature is forcing us to hesitate the adoption of OneDrive. We are concerned about data leakage.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to point out that competing cloud services have had this feature for years now.

• Linda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I believe there should be a feature to disable the download function.

• William Garry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I confirm the need for this modification. It should also prevent a non-authorized user from sending a copy by email or other means.

Hello. Looking forward to this feature preventing file from being downloaded. Is there an ETA on deployment? Thanks!

As a teacher I found that if I create a folder to share with one specified student they, in turn, can share it with others... isn't that a direct violation of file security 101?? I can't believe MS can't give me a way to turn that off.

• E.D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to be able to prevent shared files from being downloaded, it should also be possible for folder owners to prevent that ther folder (and documents included) are shared further by the participants without the owner's permission!

I am really looking forward to a quick implementation of both absolutely necessary features in OneDrive for Business! The sooner, the better...

• Dan C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? Can we get some clarity (date) for when this feature (even if for just Word/Excel/PopwerPoint) will be available?

• Taha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Prevent editors from changing access and adding new people, similar to Google Drive.

@elv will the release of this feature be only for word, excel, and powerpoint or all file types? I need to protect video files (MP4s).

I want to be able to share videos, but prevent downloading. When will that functionality be available?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base