OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Prevent shared files from being downloaded

I think it would be great if there was some setting to turn download's of a shared file or folder ON\OFF... what I mean is suppose I want to share a File\Folder with someone, I would only want them to be able to view\edit it online and not be able to download it onto their computer.. to take this idea further, it could also be helpful if you could prevent copying content from shared files... the download permission could probably be visible once a user decides to share a particular file with someone

2,755 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
elwin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OneDrive for Business users are now able to share a link to Office documents that blocks recipients from downloading copies but still allows them to view the document in Office Online.

Users can create links that block download by using the common Sharing experience that exists across Office 365. By going into Link Settings they’ll be able to toggle the “block download” option for view-only links.

We’ve completed rollout for “anyone” and “people in my organization” links, and are working on enabling it for the remaining link types. “Specific people” links are enabled on web endpoints and we’re working on native clients.

We are working on bringing this same capability to other file types.

269 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Christian Seres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it still possible to use an xml VBA based sheet in full working order opening it via one drive with EXCEL?
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

• JP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the holdup on PDFs? We've been on O365 for a few months and it's been one of our biggest pain points.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The simple binary ability to turn the download capability for ANY file type <On> or <Off> is a seemingly widespread requirement amongst the Microsoft diaspora. So, howsabout it, MS?

• Dimitris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to have documents made available online for editing but users with edit access should not be able to download the whole file.

So the "do not download" restriction should be available for both view and edit.

Users should also be able to use the desktop client version to collaborate and edit, but the option to save the file outside the original onedrive for business location of the author should be disabled.

• Rohin Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi.. it would be good to have a feature where users can only view and edit but not download the workbook.

• Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I just tried a OneDrive Business account especially for the toggle option of downloading, which is important for me. Unfortunately, it seems that the password option is not available with a business account, whereas it is available with a personal 365 account :( Can you validate this observation ?

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone have status on this? We want to share a file(video) but do not want to allow it to be downloaded.

We have E3 license.

• Marie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi I saw this option appear online, but within 5 minutes it was gone! Will it be released soon ? thank you!

• R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not available for "Anyone" option, as you stated... where and how can we see and use this?

• Jakub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anything new about this? OneDrive is really waste of money...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

block download option is not available in my office 365. am i missing something? set password and expiration date options are available

• Amala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive is great, but I cannot use it show design layout PDFs to clients because "DOWNLOAD" cannot be turned off. A pity to have to back to Google Drive.

• Charlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great feature but in testing I have found that this can only be done at file level. Would be nice to be able to achieve the same at folder level which would then prevent download of all Office documents within.

It would also be very good if this wasn't just applicable to Office documents but all file extensions as well.

• Pankaj Sharma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Idea was simple and perfect: Edit and Save, but, no download.

Scenario: We would like to share an excel spreadsheet with customer, which customer will fill and save. But they should not be able to download that sheet.

So, can we do that?

• stuartb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is the Link Settings/ View-Only feature implemented? - I can't find it so far in Powerpoint 365 or Onedrive. Just see settings for allowing or disallowing editing (which is meaningless since the file can be downloaded and edited) and expiry. Can use modification password to prevent editing, but download still available.

• Cindy L. Breitman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this to prevent others from downloading a video we want to share. What are the options there? We just upgraded our account specifically to set an expiration date and password but what is the point if people can download it and then share it with others?

• Acrol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'd also like the feature where a user an edit a Word or Excel document, but cannot *download* the file to their device.

Like Anonymous commented on March 3, 2019 8:12 AM:

"This is pain for as well. We have very sophisticated EXCEL files, and we don't want users to download and keep a copy."

• Daryl Blowes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It says you deployed for Public links, but Downloading still seems to be enabled for Videos ... is this going to be released for Videos?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base