OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Prevent shared files from being downloaded

I think it would be great if there was some setting to turn download's of a shared file or folder ON\OFF... what I mean is suppose I want to share a File\Folder with someone, I would only want them to be able to view\edit it online and not be able to download it onto their computer.. to take this idea further, it could also be helpful if you could prevent copying content from shared files... the download permission could probably be visible once a user decides to share a particular file with someone

2,628 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    elwin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Users will be able to share a link to Office documents that blocks recipients from downloading copies but still allows them to view the document in Office Online.

Users can create links that block download by using the common Sharing experience that exists across Office 365. By going into Link Settings they’ll be able to toggle the “block download” option for view-only links.

We’ve completed rollout for “anyone” and “people in my organization” links, and are working on enabling it for the remaining link types.

241 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is relatively easy for a user to take a screenshot etc. But the download feature makes it too easy. Because of the download feature I will have to use another service because my client wants it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree wholeheartedly to every one. This is a Must have feature.
        On my blog I would like users to be able view and embedded spreadsheet and browse through it. But I DO NOT want to alllow them to just click on the little icon in the bottom right, open it in Exel online themselves and just save (and steal) it to their computer.
        I am about to abandon using Exel online on my site for this very reason. And it must be SUCH AN EASY FIX for Microsoft.
        There is a need to allow users to VIEW data in an embedded spreadsheet on a site without the possibility to open the actual spreadsheet or download it.

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! I love OneDrive, but this is a crucial feature that is much needed.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For our company this is a must requirement to not allow download for us to adopt OneDrive. I hope MSFT can implement this feature.

• Martin Crownover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of this, but practically speaking, if the person can view the content they can download it/save it somehow. This would not be able to prevent people from taking content you've shared with them.

• Jasmine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! I found this by googling to see if this option was available. But apparently, it isn't.

• Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed feature that OneDrive needs to implement ASAP. Adding my support for this.

• Nathan Roberts (SunkNath) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey there,

Great Idea. This gets my vote!

I have seen threads coming through the Microsoft Community asking for this feature. Especially when you have your folders embedded in your blog, and you do not want people to just download them without your permission.

I think if we did have this feature, I will be more relaxed when sharing folders and videos though OneDrive.

Regards,

• Karim Hassan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow someone to view in a browser without downloading it is a very common need

It is just stupid not to allow us to disable the download link
        Microsoft should allow users to disable download button

Google Drive and Box have this function, why not MS OneDrive?
        I think its important that Microsoft add an option to disable the download function

• Karim Hassan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow someone to view in a browser without downloading it is a very common need

It is just stupid not to allow us to disable the download link
        Microsoft should allow users to disable download button

Google Drive and Box have this function, why not MS OneDrive?
        I think its important that Microsoft add an option to disable the download function

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using One Drive as a way to share sensitive documents that people only are allowed to VIEW and we don't want them printed or downloaded or saved as a new copy. It seems that if given "view only" rights that these features should be turned off as they go far beyond "view only".

• Peter G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Elwin, regardless of your intention, if you make a document available, it is available. If you do not want "the document" to be downloaded, make a copy of the document available instead, such as an image only PDF file. Even that will not stop somebody from typing it out again, just make the process more difficult.

• Mary G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree that the ability to restrict downloading by having "a view only" permission would be a highly valuable feature. I can think of many small businesses that would be thrilled to have that feature as well. For example, sensitive internal business files could be reviewed in a browser but the file couldn't be downloaded and sent on to unauthorized recipients.

• Magali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. Also I noticed a person made a correction on a shared file and I could not see it in the original file. I came to know about it by a printed copy.

Feedback and Knowledge Base