OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Prevent shared files from being downloaded

I think it would be great if there was some setting to turn download's of a shared file or folder ON\OFF... what I mean is suppose I want to share a File\Folder with someone, I would only want them to be able to view\edit it online and not be able to download it onto their computer.. to take this idea further, it could also be helpful if you could prevent copying content from shared files... the download permission could probably be visible once a user decides to share a particular file with someone

2,696 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
elwin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Users will be able to share a link to Office documents that blocks recipients from downloading copies but still allows them to view the document in Office Online.

Users can create links that block download by using the common Sharing experience that exists across Office 365. By going into Link Settings they’ll be able to toggle the “block download” option for view-only links.

We’ve completed rollout for “anyone” and “people in my organization” links, and are working on enabling it for the remaining link types.

261 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Paul W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this would be awesome. like google drive, and Dropbox for business. We have the option to share files in time frame and only for viewing- no downloading or printing- the function to simply look at it - approve or capture the idea. Please consider Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would like to have users listen to audio and view video without the option to download.

• Nicola Stanley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's interesting! Have just been deciding which way to go for a collaborative teamwork in our company (be that: OneDrive, Google Docs or DropBox) . Because we use SKYPE I liked the neat integration of OneDrive with Skype messaging. However my main concern is training the staff to understand the difference between using Excel online or downloading for use on DeskTop Excel. I can see lots of issues here with staff getting confused about what they have clicked and finding themselves editing on desktop and not real-time online. Obviously the data protection and data security issues are a real concern too, particularly as they might end up by sharing sensitive information by accident with someone else. By email our Excel spreadsheets would normally be protected with a password. I am assuming here that if they download an Excel file from OneDrive that password protection is not an option. That currently makes email a securer option than OneDrive! Hope to hear more from Microsoft about the prevention of further sharing and downloading of files. In the meantime we will pilot OneDrive in a small way within our company.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even shares that allow editing should allow downloads to be disabled. You may have someone helping you with something but not want them to make a copy of it for their own use.

• M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with this suggestion. A view link should be read-only; please upgrade to grant the ability to share files and disable download.

• Susan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely this option should be available. I am currently switching a batch of files off of OneDrive to GoogleDrive exclusively for this reason. This will definitely mean I use this whole MS platform less.
    BTW, if others are looking for an easy and free way to move files mover.io works brilliantly and FAST and/or in the background and/or if you disconnect from internet after queuing files for transfer! (p.s. "transfer" means files copy to GD, they will not be deleted from OD unless you do that yourself - took me a few mins. to find that info!!)
    Hope this is incentive for OneDrive!

• Marcos Avila commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

é o que eu sempre desejei, não entendo o porque de ainda ter essa opção, sem logica esse botão fixo.

• _TheLion_ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with this suggestion. A view link should be read-only and all other cloud services (Google Drive, Box.com, etc..) are offering the option to disable download direct download on shared links. A quick search on this issue opens up hundreds of results with people asking for the same feature.

Please add this feature as it will just enhance the power of OneDrive.

And please someone (#Jason Moore, #Omar Shahine ?) combine this thread with the following thread as it has exactly the same purpose:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/7354291-microsoft-should-allow-users-to-disable-download-b

• _TheLion_ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with this suggestion. A view link should be read-only and all other cloud services (Google Drive, Box.com, etc..) are offering the option to disable download direct download on shared links. A quick search on this issue opens up hundreds of results with people asking for the same feature.

Please add this feature as it will just enhance the power of OneDrive.

And please someone (#Jason Moore, #Omar Shahine ?) combine this thread with the following thread as it has exactly the same purpose:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/7105024-prevent-shared-files-from-being-downloaded

Feedback and Knowledge Base