OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Prevent shared files from being downloaded

I think it would be great if there was some setting to turn download's of a shared file or folder ON\OFF... what I mean is suppose I want to share a File\Folder with someone, I would only want them to be able to view\edit it online and not be able to download it onto their computer.. to take this idea further, it could also be helpful if you could prevent copying content from shared files... the download permission could probably be visible once a user decides to share a particular file with someone

2,628 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    elwin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Users will be able to share a link to Office documents that blocks recipients from downloading copies but still allows them to view the document in Office Online.

Users can create links that block download by using the common Sharing experience that exists across Office 365. By going into Link Settings they’ll be able to toggle the “block download” option for view-only links.

We’ve completed rollout for “anyone” and “people in my organization” links, and are working on enabling it for the remaining link types.

241 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google Drive has had this feature for years. The document owner (and managers) can grant access to a document or folder to a specific set of users but prevent those users from downloading or printing. This can be done on a user-by-user basis (e.g. one could give both Sharon and Rob view access to a document but allow only Sharon to download it to her device or print it.) If Sharon or Rob forward the link to the document to Mark, who wasn't granted permission by the document owner or managers, Mark would need the sender's (Sharon's or Rob's) Google password in order to open the file - something that Sharon or Rob are probably not going to do since it would give Mark full access to their email and all of their other documents. Possible, yes, but not likely.

Until OneDrive has this feature it's unusable to me. I'll just continue to use Google Drive.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More than 3 years later, still the same status.
        @Microsoft, time to listen what we customer wants maybe?

• Victor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If there would be such an area that you can protect it would be great if you could control access to this shared area with accounts/teams from Keybase.io.

• Rob Bowman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So correct me if I am wrong, but there are options within Azure Active Directory to add information protection options with labeling?

• wgt40w commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To ADMIN: How many comments or votes does it take for Microsoft to act on a requested extra OneDrive security option ????

You know, sure maybe there is a way for someone to get access to the file URL or whatever and download it, but let me give you an example here:

I want to share a video that others can watch, but we want to prevent the file from being downloaded so that it doesn't get shared that way.

You OneDrive web app basically has a built in video player. Sure, there are ways to capture this, but just allow someone to remove the d*** "Download" button from the web app!

You know, if I really want to steal a bike with a lock, I could probably do it. But just having a lock prevents those crimes of opportunity. Get what I am saying???

• James Armstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With GDPR coming down the line the ability to stop people from downloading and editing files offline, then sending them to everyone else, would be huge.

This feature alone is the only reason I can't convince my business to subscribe to a onedrive business account. We need our files to be viewed, but don't want the ability for people to download without permission. Is there another microsoft service that allows this? Perhaps OneNote? I'll dig into that next.

• Chad Wetsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this feature - it's the only hiccup at this time for us moving to onedrive

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this sort of protection is instituted, you would pull multitudes over from Google docs that are all looking for this same security.

I agree with this idea. We should be able to share folders/albums etc without people being able to edit/download them. Also, it would be good if we were able to put copyright watermarks on the photos (like you can in Picasa).

• Joel Kingston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Admin, Is there any update on this please? I think this is a critical requirement for collaboration? @douglas

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a shared link behavior that defaults to "open in browser." Reduce the # of clicks required to interact with a file & obviate the need to delete clutter files I didn't want to download multiple times.

• Al Schmidutz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an important feature.

At least until people who can’t grasp the concept of collaboration. <Download, Attach, Share> <Download a copy> are unacceptable in this day in age. It wasn’t acceptable for online collaboration in 2015 when the thread orginated and its not acceptable in 2017 either.

Feedback and Knowledge Base