OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Prevent shared files from being downloaded

I think it would be great if there was some setting to turn download's of a shared file or folder ON\OFF... what I mean is suppose I want to share a File\Folder with someone, I would only want them to be able to view\edit it online and not be able to download it onto their computer.. to take this idea further, it could also be helpful if you could prevent copying content from shared files... the download permission could probably be visible once a user decides to share a particular file with someone

2,628 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    elwin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Users will be able to share a link to Office documents that blocks recipients from downloading copies but still allows them to view the document in Office Online.

Users can create links that block download by using the common Sharing experience that exists across Office 365. By going into Link Settings they’ll be able to toggle the “block download” option for view-only links.

We’ve completed rollout for “anyone” and “people in my organization” links, and are working on enabling it for the remaining link types.

241 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marvin Milstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know budgets are tight with your founder hanging by a mere $80 billion thread over total financial ruin and all, but could poor poverty-stricken MS scrape up a few dollars to help us all? Seems the cash cow needs some grain and maybe a few hands full of oats...are we being unreasonable here? There is some irony here also when Microsoft worked so hard at protecting their proprietary code but shows no empathy for those who use their products and would like to do the same....not mad...just a little disappointed.

• Rebecca Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need a platform to share docs without fear of further modification or distribution! Please help!

• Poussemousse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with this idea, according to me File permission is one of the main expectation with File sharing.
        I would like to have at least a read only (or view only) mode, where people see the file but can't modify neither download it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

looks like this ask has been going on for 2 years. Box.com, Dropbox and Google offer it... say what!!!

• Karla Lozano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this for work as well. We are sharing our presentations on Canvas, but do not want the download option. Please help Microsoft!

I'm running into the same issue. I created a file to drive traffic to the site it's posted on. If they can download it then they have no reason to come back. Not only that, but they could steal my file and post it other places. This seems to be a major issue given how much work creating this file entails.

• brijesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please anyone help me,
        i want to show ppt on my page but don't want to show download option on site only user can view

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea! Google Drive already have such function. Microsoft you need to speed up!

Microsoft, will you ever fix this very basic issue ? how can you display your work for others and just allow them to take it ?

• Michele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it so that PDF files will open in the browser window instead of being downloaded every time. If someone has a view link - they should be allowed to "view" it in the browser!

I just don't share my videos with OneDrive because people can download them. Pretty basic access management feature. Must be added.

Feedback and Knowledge Base