OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Automatically shorten urls for publicly shared items from OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online

Automatically shorten the urls for publicly shared items from SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business, similar to what is available in OneDrive.

When the feature is complete the urls generated by Get a Link / Create Link should be shortened automatically (possibly using http://1dr.ms) and a similar feature should be introduced in Sharepoint Online document libraries.

1,080 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Thomas Israelsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    thinking about it  ·  Douglas Pearce responded  · 

We want these URLs to look great, too. We’re starting to look at this. Thanks for the suggestion.

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrej Pirman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well,
        there indeed is security concern due to the fact, that short URLs cen be brute-force guessed, and as noted by Softpedia, while exploring OneDrive short URLs for leakages, the researchers scanned 100 million six-character URLs. They were able to track down nearly 20,000 real URLs that led to OneDrive folders.
        This is security risk and I would stay behind Microsoft's decision to NOT shorten URLs beyond some reasonable length.

However, MS could reconsider about shortening anyways, at least to have AN OPTION to use either full URL, like:
        https://contoso-my.sharepoint.com/personal/john_contoso_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?share=ERGZUIZ8E0pAuC1oJtwz4dQB23IabPgbMtiVe0OLPtMybw
        or newer version
        https://contoso-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/p/john/ERGZUIZ8E0pAuC1oJtwz4dQB23IabPgbMtiVe0OLPtMybw
        and to SHORTEN it to become at least one bit more user friendly, for example:
        https://1dr.ms/ERGZUIZ8E0pAuC1oJtwz4dQB23IabPgbMtiVe0OLPtMybw

I guess this would be compromise still on safe-side and pretty easy to implement in OneDrive.

• Teresa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SharePoint Lists allow you to add a hyperlink column - really useful except it requires urls that are less than 255 characters - so I can't hyperlink to any of my own documents within the same site.

• Damien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They don’t have to look great, just not too embarrassing to share professionally. This is far from a major undertaking; I’m not sure why it’s processed as such. There isn’t much to think about.

• Dexter Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do I always get the impression Microsoft doesn't give a flying **** what their customers ask for! The simplest of things is a giant endeavor. I'm still waiting for the ability to make the tabs on Onenote alphabetical, its only been three years and still nothing.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google can make a short redirection URL, Microsoft don't...
        Microsoft have to change their programmers.

• Academic User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not possible? On my university campus, the link name includes the word "student" even for faculty and administrators. It looks terrible.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The URL at the time of sharing is very long.
        When I paste it into an email and use it, the person cannot open successfully.
        Why is it not possible to use a paid version of the function available in the free version?

• Sean Murthy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Office 365 Business customers, consider creating a URL of the form "example.org/1dr/xyz" where "example.org" is business's domain; "1dr" is directory the domain admin configures; and "xyz" is a wort created for the linked item. Also allow customization where people can replace "xyz" with something more meaningful.

• Raoul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

not really professional to have to share huge long URL just to share an excel file to download... I'd prefer not to have tiny.cc but a Microsoft alternative, but there is not...

• Kasper Bergh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously how can this not be done after 3 years (2 since it was acknowledged as a good idea)? This is not rocket science and OneDrive personal has it. It's SO unprofessional to send those links to customers when we need to share big files with them...

• A Orner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please shorten links- i'm trying to provide the url to customers and it's embarrassing how long it is.

• Hal Clive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand how shortened URLs might represent a security issue for links that grant access to information, but it would really help me with my daily work if there was an out-of-the-box option to create shortened links for "People with existing access".

A global O365 option would be perfect, as lengthy and/or human unfriendly URLs can be generated by other tools such as Forms and Stream.

• ULC Tech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Meg commented · April 10, 2016 11:36 ·
        Guys! It's easy to shorten the link yourself. Google has a web page that will do it for you in a sec. Don't write off one drive when it's so easy to work around this issue"

Cheers Meg, but Google isn't available in my country....

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base