OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Sharing files/folders to a Group does not show up in users "Shared with me" folder.

When sharing a file or folder to a SharePoint Group, the users do not receive an invitation email and they can only access the shared files/folders via a URL link. These shares do not show up under their "Shared with Me" folder. This really defeats the purpose of sharing with a group. The idea is to make sharing with large numbers of users easier. Set up a group, then share with them. Please fix this.

384 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Scotty Huff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nathan Lidia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is not a good reason folders shared with groups should not show up in the Shared with me link. We need the ability to for it to show up in the Shared with me link and then Sync with the computer so it can be viewed in the computer browser. And when users are added to the group it will automatically show up in their Shared with me link.

• Aaron Weiler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be default to not show, but at least be an option to show them at the Global Admin's discretion. Please add this!

• Charbel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely this is a no-brainer to implement?

Simple - any files or folders that are shared with you in OneDrive should appear under the tab 'shared with me'. Why has it taken so long and yet no solution?

• Sevenoaks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since more than 3 years Microsoft haven't been able to fix this bug... Unbelievable!!! I really need this functionality for my daily work - go ahead and fix it!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding on to others comments here. The fact you select to share by group but it does not show in Shared with Me section is very confusing to users. This is they type of thing that gets users frustrated with Microsoft products.

• mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I can add a group, but like other have said nobody receives and email and they do not have access to the folders/files. If I then add an individual from one of those groups they receive an email and are then able to see the shared folders/files. I then wanted to remove that individual and they are no where to be found in the 'grant access' area. it states access granted by the group they are in. I must be missing something - right?????

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow are you kidding me Microsoft? This is absolutely basic function! I can share with group but group can not see this file.. Very unprofessional and not business friendly :-(

• Scott Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Douglas, being that OneDrive for Business is becoming more of a "Business" platform, by having this View available completes the Sharing Experience. Currently users are still having to Share with Individuals so they can see the Shared Folder through their User UI; otherwise, you have to keep re-sharing to send them a new email which is fruitless.

Is there a way to push this through development much faster, it seems like a low hanging fruit opportunity.

• Josh Winters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Throwing in my two cents. It seems like extreme oversight not to include the ability to share to a group. You really want people to hand-type 30 email addresses every time they want to share something regarding a project? Please add the ability to share to security groups and distribution groups.

• Chris Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Show stopper for a client wanting to migrate to Office 365. I'm guessing after 2+ years it's not going to be addressed.

• Tory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been beating my head againt the wall trying to figure this out and I see I'm not crazy. Others are experiencing the same issue. This is ridiculous.

I'm joining the cause, please implement this feature, this is the only feature that separate us from getting rid of dropbox and replacing it with onedrive

• Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this. If not OneDrive Business is useless, and we will find other solutions.

So is there going to be an update for this or are we just going to let it sit here? It can't be a very difficult thing to implement.

These files and folders don't appear when searching from the users one-drive, they don't appear in discover or shared with me.

Besides direct URL links how are users expected to be able to access these folders? What is the official way to implement this?

"This is something we’ll look at as part of improvements to the Shared with Me view"

I rather see this being fixed in one of the bughunting itarations!
        Share a folder with a group, and it's not visible in the "Shared with me" and the users aren't notified. Looks like a bug to me.

I cannot believe that this feature has not been developed. Like the feature request, what is the point of the folder if you cannot see what is "Shared with me". We want to share with groups all the time but having this feature missing just make it so much harder.

• Ben Parkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this functionality, we could give up our network drives and dropbox and make use of sharepoint instead if the group function simply put these folders into everyones onedrives!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base