OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Sharing files/folders to a Group does not show up in users "Shared with me" folder.

When sharing a file or folder to a SharePoint Group, the users do not receive an invitation email and they can only access the shared files/folders via a URL link. These shares do not show up under their "Shared with Me" folder. This really defeats the purpose of sharing with a group. The idea is to make sharing with large numbers of users easier. Set up a group, then share with them. Please fix this.

461 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Scotty Huff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't think about it, don't work on it, EXECUTE A SOLUTION ALREADY MICROSOFT! This is unacceptable. Basic group sharing is trivial.

• Angelika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking to share a folder in an individual One Drive to members of a group rather than having to share with each person individually. But the members in the group need to be able to see the folders in "shared with me".

Having to use one drive as sharepoint is brutal to save to off of the app on an iPad (child care centre with 12 rooms and staff use iPads - looking for online shared storage solution and open to suggestions because Microsoft has not figured this one out yet?!)

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This still doesn't work.

Why is this not part of the basic functionality ?

A new user is created and added to an AD group that has access to shared Folders but cannot see it in shared with me.

How are they supposed to get to this without manually sending them a link?

• Elena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we share with a O365 group, we can see what's shared in the group's "Shared with us" view on the group site. The important thing that's missing is the same view when accessing group files from OneDrive interface.

• Muhammad Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How on earth this is a "suggestion"? What is the purpose of having "shared with me" view, if it does show everything that is being shared with the user directly or via group?

• Kent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More than a good suggestion. Sharing a folder in an O365 Group (SharePoint Documents) should show up somewhere for the members of the other Group or security group it's being shared with. Full Stop.

It's brutal the only browsable way is to follow an email link, and then at best is to press sync that then pops up a OneDrive for Business client on the desktop, to can cache the folder & file names with the desktop file browser. There's your awareness of what has been share with you... BRUTAL!!!

To further exacerbate use and understanding of file sharing and the ambiguity of Groups... OneDrive is constantly confused with SharePoint due to the client handling SharePoint on the Desktop. Top it off the folders & contents of SharePoint folders are easily deleted via the file browser, and anyone not severing the sync from the OneDrive client in the tray, can easily make the mistake of deleting everyone's files, hopefully caught within 30 days or too bad... And lastly it seems custom SharePoint permissions are a must, can only be applilied Group by Group (Site by Site), in order to keep people from accidently deleting folders when they are editors. In other words there are only three canned editing permissions for O365 Groups and no warnings you are about to delete everyone's files. BRUTAL!!!

• Nathan Lidia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is not a good reason folders shared with groups should not show up in the Shared with me link. We need the ability to for it to show up in the Shared with me link and then Sync with the computer so it can be viewed in the computer browser. And when users are added to the group it will automatically show up in their Shared with me link.

• Aaron Weiler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be default to not show, but at least be an option to show them at the Global Admin's discretion. Please add this!

• Charbel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely this is a no-brainer to implement?

Simple - any files or folders that are shared with you in OneDrive should appear under the tab 'shared with me'. Why has it taken so long and yet no solution?

• Sevenoaks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since more than 3 years Microsoft haven't been able to fix this bug... Unbelievable!!! I really need this functionality for my daily work - go ahead and fix it!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding on to others comments here. The fact you select to share by group but it does not show in Shared with Me section is very confusing to users. This is they type of thing that gets users frustrated with Microsoft products.

• mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I can add a group, but like other have said nobody receives and email and they do not have access to the folders/files. If I then add an individual from one of those groups they receive an email and are then able to see the shared folders/files. I then wanted to remove that individual and they are no where to be found in the 'grant access' area. it states access granted by the group they are in. I must be missing something - right?????

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow are you kidding me Microsoft? This is absolutely basic function! I can share with group but group can not see this file.. Very unprofessional and not business friendly :-(

• Scott Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Douglas, being that OneDrive for Business is becoming more of a "Business" platform, by having this View available completes the Sharing Experience. Currently users are still having to Share with Individuals so they can see the Shared Folder through their User UI; otherwise, you have to keep re-sharing to send them a new email which is fruitless.

Is there a way to push this through development much faster, it seems like a low hanging fruit opportunity.

• Josh Winters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Throwing in my two cents. It seems like extreme oversight not to include the ability to share to a group. You really want people to hand-type 30 email addresses every time they want to share something regarding a project? Please add the ability to share to security groups and distribution groups.

• Chris Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Show stopper for a client wanting to migrate to Office 365. I'm guessing after 2+ years it's not going to be addressed.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base