OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Allow others to upload & create files in shared folders without needing a Microsoft Account

Not everyone uses Microsoft stuff. In order for OneDrive to truely be a place for collaboration, people without Microsoft accounts need to be able to access, edit and upload files to the folders that are shared.

There is already a setting to not require a Microsoft account for viewing or editing. This should be extended to creating and uploading. Especially when the collaboration project requires large files.

391 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jeremy Coggins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Conrad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using FileRequestPro.com to receive files from customers in our onedrive folder.

We also share a folder with them. Would be great if the can upload directly into it without requiring an account.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same for me as for others: One of the only reasons I keep on logging into my Dropbox account.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just as an everyday user: my daughter wants to share and receive pictures with her friends. While she can share them for them to download copies she can't allow them to upload and most of her friends don't have MS accounts. She had to create a Google account for one of her friends and is now having to create another account for another. This would be so much easier and a real selling point if uploads were available with specified link or with email provided. Personally I think a timed specified link would really be nice.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I collaborate with users from DropBox, Google, etc., who do not have a Onedrive account. Either allow edit & upload to these users, or provide a link mechanism to these outside services.

Please allow an upload folder where we can provide a link where someone can just upload to that folder.

Please allow configuration like - can view existing files or not, can delete, etc. I'd prefer a blind upload where the person can just put their name, email, file description and the file and upload it. No read access, but just so we can get their files securely and simply.

Box has an easy widget that does this and is the only reason I have to keep Box at this time.

I completely agree with this idea. I want to stick with MS but since i work with a lot of freelancers, I need them to upload documents and not all of them have MS accounts. I might have to switch to some other provider if this issue persists.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the only reasons I keep on logging into my Dropbox account.

• Pascal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely time that this is a standard feature. We use full MS suite and just for this "little thing" (file sharing/collaboration is the basis of all) we need to go to a competitor....just ridiculous
    @MS; how about it?

• Dale Bowman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thinking about it? What is there to think about. I work in an industry where large documents from parties are routinely needed and they need to be able to upload them using a secure method. Box has this but the site seems to imply a person has to sign up for a business account or a paid account when that is not the case. There are many IT departments that do not allow the use of Box, DropBox, SugarSync and others. But, when it comes to uploading using a non-subscription service, there is little problem. Plus, I really do not want to have a person have to create an account to send me something.

This is really not that hard. One method used by Box is to allow materials to be emailed; however, email is not secure and may create problems relative to certain government requirements to protect personal information like HIPAA. Also, many email servers restrict not only the inbound size of an email but outbound as well.

There should be a way where I can created a folder and send someone a hyperlink where they can drag and drop information.

There are a number of things about OneDrive I really like; far more than many of the competitors. But, frankly, here is a place where you have fallen flat on your face. I hope you can find the strength to get up and provide this very much needed and basic business need.

• Jeff Cap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why hasn't Microsoft flipped the switch yet to allow others to upload to my paid OneDrive account folder(s) that I share. This is highly needed in the business environment now.

• Matthew Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure why this is still being thought about. It is competitive with others and confusing for people you send a link to. It should be a feature, even if for a day only to upload.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you want to be competitive with Sharefile and Dropbox (and nearly every other competitor) you should be doing more than thinking about it...

• David Legrand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be awesome, just had the issue with my family. I have to ask them some videos and today I'll use wetransfer but I would prefer to use only OneDrive.
    It would be perfect to ask for an email address (for security reasons) and optionally a name.

And with Flow, we would be able to automate a lot of things behind the scene if necessary.

• edwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mediafire does this, let anyone upload files but not access what is in. Whished Onedrive had this feature.

• Maurice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This facility is now available with dropbox. Microsoft need to extract the digit .... I need this so my clients can send me stuff to review (PPT presentations and video) before I come and do their conferences. Unfortunately employees of Big Banks are not allowed to set up accounts willy-nilly for fear of hacking and they are not going to risk the sack for the sake on one small company requiring a few files once a year

• JoseAVidal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do agree with Jermy's post. If I need to allow my friends and other collegues to add files to the folder I've shared. Now it is impossible if they don't have a Microsoft account.

Feedback and Knowledge Base