OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Allow shared folders to be stored within sub folders

The new feature that allows shared folders to be synced on the desktop is awesome.
however, shared folders are added to the root of the OneDrive folder and cannot be nested into the file structure. That is an issue : the root folder will soon be full of random shared folder. Allow us to store them where they belong ! Think of project-related stuff, pictures that you want to store in your "summer 2015" folder,...
Google Drive implementation is fine : you get an overview of all shared folders on the website ("shared with me" tab) and you can nest these folders in your filestructure the way it best suits you - both on the website and locally.

4,076 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Corentin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re looking at two related pieces of this:
    1) For OneDrive for Business, enable shared folders to be added to the root of the OneDrive folder at all (like in OneDrive Personal).
    2) For OneDrive across business and personal, enable shared folders to be placed into subfolders.

We appreciate your patience; this is significant engineering work given the architecture of the products and our diverse customer base, spanning individuals to small businesses to multi-national enterprises to government agencies. We aim to address this while maintaining our industry-leading security, privacy, and compliance commitments.

Thank you for the continued feedback.

308 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Greg Kostrikin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys; we just migrated our mid size business from dropbox to onedrive. Everything great about onedrive except for this shared vs. personal file tree issue. This is driving some of my business partners mad to the point they want to switch back to dropbox and forego the nice features onedrive has over it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wtih a cherry on top fix this, so all files are under 1 file tree and file names editable from desktop (vs online) for both shared and personal files.

• Georgiy Frolov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It makes it very hard to maintain 2 separate places for storage as opposed having all files/folders under one tree.
        And because symlinks break the OneDrive, it doesn't leave any good workarounds for users to use.
        And every one of my users hates that they have places in different places.
        We can't wait until this feature is implemented.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This gets all of my votes. If I could vote more I would. The current system for desktop syncing of shared folders in ODFB is janky and has confused every client I've introduced to the system. Particularly those who are familiar with One Drive Personal.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Memopal was allowing the original folders structure already years ago...
        Google has introduced it since a 2 years max.

OneDrive has lost time only. And users.

• André commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could not image that it's not already integrated until i made this experience when migrating from dropbox... Really frustrating

Not having this feature is for sure a enormous downside. It is a pain in the a"double s".

Yes, PLEASE add this feature! It is insane to sort through every folder shared with me in the main or home drive folder!

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just need full transparency, especially compared to the other major cloud storage options DropBox, Google Drive, Box Sync. Our users just need to know what is possible in OneDrive, and what features or options are different compared to the other services.

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so imperative to the sharing experience. It should have been started already.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the reason why I haven't started using OneDrive and pay an extra $150 for Dropbox.

• Taha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can we not select subfolders that we DON'T want to share from a shared parent folder? Google Drive already has this function and I imagine its not too difficult for you to implement. Why does it take years for Microsoft to catch on?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base