OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Allow shared folders to be stored within sub folders

The new feature that allows shared folders to be synced on the desktop is awesome.
however, shared folders are added to the root of the OneDrive folder and cannot be nested into the file structure. That is an issue : the root folder will soon be full of random shared folder. Allow us to store them where they belong ! Think of project-related stuff, pictures that you want to store in your "summer 2015" folder,...
Google Drive implementation is fine : you get an overview of all shared folders on the website ("shared with me" tab) and you can nest these folders in your filestructure the way it best suits you - both on the website and locally.

4,293 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Corentin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re looking at two related pieces of this:
1) For OneDrive for Business, enable shared folders to be added to the root of the OneDrive folder at all (like in OneDrive Personal).
2) For OneDrive across business and personal, enable shared folders to be placed into subfolders.

We appreciate your patience; this is significant engineering work given the architecture of the products and our diverse customer base, spanning individuals to small businesses to multi-national enterprises to government agencies. We aim to address this while maintaining our industry-leading security, privacy, and compliance commitments.

Thank you for the continued feedback.

316 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Josh Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're looking to migrate from Exchange on-premise to something in the cloud. This has to be fixed if we're going to choose 365 over G-suite.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jasonnnnn, stop with the ‘black op’s’ suit stuff and get the ONE DRIVE app working.

Come on Geno’ This isn’t THAT much engineering for you and your MS team! You’re the best, lets get it right!

• Clay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not implemented yet? It is critically important to be able to see shared folders and personal folders in one view, just like google drive and dropbox. Aaron V's comment is spot on, why is it called onedrive if everything isn't in one place?

Also, sharepoint already does this pretty well but you can't easily access onedrive files from email to attach them so onedrive becomes the better option for files that may need to be attached to an email. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this.

I would be happy if files shared with me could just be moved to my files and still be shared and not moved into sub folders. I just want to see all my folders shared or not in one place!

At the very least how about everything being nested into a subfolder, e.g. /Shared?

Short comment on that one: We had here a long discussion with Premier Support. This one is actually not a feature request, but a bug fix.

This worked already in the past. We got Aware of it, when testing syncing SharePoint libraries with OneDrive:

If you stored synced SharePoint libraries with Onedrive, you were able to move them in nested Folders in the past. This way you could sort your synced libraries in OneDrive by site collection.

Not possible anymore after a Microsoft update. So syncing libraries from different site collections gets a mess, if you have several libraries in your site Collections.

Therefore, the described issue is even more relevant as it affects also SharePoint Usability and not only OneDrive sharing.

Considering there are already more than 4000 votes and it is a bug, not a (real) feature request, I hope that Micrsoft takes care for that issue soon.

• Aaron V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You did name the product "OneDrive" after all. Having One Drive space for my own documents, but then Another Drive space that does not allow for organization seems missing the point. There should just be OneDrive space for everything that completely allows for organization. (Or change the name to SomeDrives ;-)

• Greg Kostrikin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys; we just migrated our mid size business from dropbox to onedrive. Everything great about onedrive except for this shared vs. personal file tree issue. This is driving some of my business partners mad to the point they want to switch back to dropbox and forego the nice features onedrive has over it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wtih a cherry on top fix this, so all files are under 1 file tree and file names editable from desktop (vs online) for both shared and personal files.

• Georgiy Frolov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It makes it very hard to maintain 2 separate places for storage as opposed having all files/folders under one tree.
    And because symlinks break the OneDrive, it doesn't leave any good workarounds for users to use.
    And every one of my users hates that they have places in different places.
    We can't wait until this feature is implemented.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This gets all of my votes. If I could vote more I would. The current system for desktop syncing of shared folders in ODFB is janky and has confused every client I've introduced to the system. Particularly those who are familiar with One Drive Personal.

Memopal was allowing the original folders structure already years ago...
    Google has introduced it since a 2 years max.

OneDrive has lost time only. And users.

• André commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could not image that it's not already integrated until i made this experience when migrating from dropbox... Really frustrating

Not having this feature is for sure a enormous downside. It is a pain in the a"double s".

Yes, PLEASE add this feature! It is insane to sort through every folder shared with me in the main or home drive folder!

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just need full transparency, especially compared to the other major cloud storage options DropBox, Google Drive, Box Sync. Our users just need to know what is possible in OneDrive, and what features or options are different compared to the other services.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base