OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Expiration date on files and folders

Sometimes you want to share some files or photos temporary with someone so that he/she can download. If you can select in the menu a date until when the folder is accessible the process is automated. I do not need to go back to the folder and remove the access rights manually. Also it makes sure that I do not forget to remove the access rights.

469 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    umaluagr shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice to the more recent comments. We like the ability to set expiration dates on anonymous links, but we would also like to use expiration dates in other link types, both internal and external.

• MB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like to have the ability to set an expiration date for all types of links. I realize I can set an expiration date for Shareable Links (i.e., links viewable to anonymous users), but our organization does not allow sharing outside the tenant.

It would be very helpful if I could set an expiration date for Internal Links as well (i.e., links accessible to anyone in the tenant).

In OneDrive for Business, there is no easy way to see a complete list of all the files and folders you are currently sharing. This makes it easy to forget that a file or folder has been shared -- especially if you have a lot of files or a complex folder structure. This makes it easy to forget to remove sharing permissions and/or disable links.

• Jose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to set link expirations for files and folders regardless of the type of user I've shared a link with. Currently file link expiration is only available when sending a link to anonymous users

• umaluagr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Rune
        Guest link is nice but I do not want to administrate them after I have set them up. Here's a description from a Microsoft help (this is what I don't want to do):

"You can revoke access to a document that has been shared through a guest link by disabling the link.

1. Go to the library that contains the document for which you want to remove a guest link.

2. Point to the document, and click Open Menu.

3. Click a guest link in the sentence Open to anyone with a guest link.

4. Next to the URL for the guest link, click the Delete button.

5. When you are asked if you want the link disabled, click Disable Link.

I want:
        1. When giving a guest link free select a date until when it is accessible. Done.

• Rune Myrhaug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It´s possible to share files with external guest link. But this is not possible on folder level. I would like to have the same functionality on folder level.

• Gsiberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of the content that I want to share (photos, files etc.) I only want to share for a certain time frame. Adding a validity date to the link helps in adminstrating the shared folders. I do not need to make a reminder in my calendar or go through the shared folders regularly to remove not needed shared links. I guess this will help private and business users alike.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cloud storage software SafeSync implemented this feature. At SafeSync you have the following options for the link:
        1. Add a password
        2. Define a date when the link expires. (with date picker)
        3. Create a one-time link

All three options increase security.

• Dolby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, i have shared recipes and such, but have not wanted to maintain a shared relationship. I wonder if links can expire the same way?

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is often very helpful and it increases also security as it reduces human error.
        Example: Sharing a project folder with files that need to be translated. The translator has access to the files for the next 2 months. Afterwards the access should be removed again.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is exactly what i am asking for. An expiry date for a shared link would be useful, so that i can manage how long my students have access to a folder or file. I would not want students in year 9 accessing the same folder the following year.

• Luka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to this. Not a huge thing, but I see it being useful once you get it and get used to it. Also, such files/folders should "advertise" their expiration date in their properties, so people know they'll expire on that date/time.

• Chad Paine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe what he is trying to say is; when you share a file or folder you may want to set an access expiration date so it is not shared forever. I would love this feature also.

• sanjeev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There might be time when you want to expired links that you shared rather than deleting the item itself after some period of time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base