OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve OneDrive's security, policy and administration experiences??

Add ignore file (name/extionsion) / folder functionality

Tired of synch errors for desktop.ini, something I don't have much control over. Should be able to tell OneDrive to ignore certain files / file types (support standard wildcards) or folders.

394 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Neil Ryan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're rolling onedrive out for a large number of users and it would be nice to have the feature to block sync for certain folders. (Onenote Notebooks) for example. Also a security setting to prevent user from closing the application both by right click menu of the taskbar icon and also prevent them from using the End task button on the onedrive.exe in the task manager.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been using one drive for over a year. Please allow us to exempt certain files and file types. I'm getting calls daily on OneDrive not syncing due to the desktop.ini files and utilizes a lot of resources to field these calls.

• Philip McConnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have only been using OneDrive a few weeks now and I can see us going with another product shortly. This is specifically down to the inability to properly manage file type exclusions. Crazy this was not implemented years ago.

• Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are several proposals like this, since years. But nothing happens. Is even someone of Microsoft reading this?

• Jay Libove commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a Regular Expression exclusion configuration option, not just file name exclusion, although clearly a file name exclusion option (not just a "type" - really, "extension") is a good first step.
    The current "Type" (Extension) exclusion only makes sense in the Windows overly-simplistic perspective of, e.g. ".db" is a Windows folder thumbnail (i.e. "Thumbs.db") file; it makes no sense to exclude all ".db" files when the user might store a UNIX file (or just anything other than Microsoft's small view of the world) as a ".db" file in a folder that happens to be sync'd by OneDrive.

how does this not already exist, SERIOUSLY guys? why even let us vote if your just going to ignore it?

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree. No one needs it to be synchronised. So why let it be part of the equation.

• Virgil Ierubino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This absolutely needs to be added, and I don't see why it wouldn't frankly be trivial. It could even be done similarly to Git, e.g. a .syncignore file in a directory specifies files/folders/patterns that the sync client will ignore and not send to the cloud. This is essential for when you have folders in OneDrive which other programs read/write from, possibly leaving hundreds of temp files.

It's mainly a pain, when your system defaults to hide such files in the directory. You loose a lot of time to find a way to delete such files which are absolutely irrelevant for a normal user.

• Sunni Brock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At a bare minimum, stop trying to sync desktop.ini - I hate getting this error all the time after browsing a folder from two machines.

• Jeff W. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature. I want to keep all the files I use in one location. I would rather not move any files out of that directory just because OneDrive does not support or is restricted or is limited because of the characters used in the filename (which I do not want to change).

• Megakoresh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very good suggestion. There is no reason why I would have to configure every client on every machine to ignore explicit files if the whole point of OneDrive and cloud sync in general is to have a seamless experience. The file structure should be self-documenting. A gitingore-like method seems like the most sensible solution.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does Microsoft ignore this "ignore" idea?
    The action "you can put your files out of onedrive folder" is not applicable, like I wanna skip index data of sublime or I wanna skip node_modules for my project, they all should be stayed within the folder of sublime or the project folder. There are 7 pages of comments on old idea page requesting this, won't you see? Or is this really hard to implement in some way?
    Right now I have to put an empty folder into the cloud, and choose not to sync this folder, then create a local one. It does work but onedrive will complain that there's been some conflict and it marks all the files in the local folder with a red cross, which is really annoying.
    Hope this idea will get through, although the votes seem to say that people have got upset and gave up on this one.

• Ryan Ries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! I like to store Visual Studio projects on OneDrive so I can work on them from multiple machines, but VS projects produce lots of temp and intermediary junk that isn't important to be synced, and causes sync errors to boot because of the high churn rate, VS locking the file, etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base