OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve OneDrive's security, policy and administration experiences??

Add ignore file (name/extionsion) / folder functionality

Tired of synch errors for desktop.ini, something I don't have much control over. Should be able to tell OneDrive to ignore certain files / file types (support standard wildcards) or folders.

205 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Neil Ryan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sunni Brock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At a bare minimum, stop trying to sync desktop.ini - I hate getting this error all the time after browsing a folder from two machines.

• Jeff W. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature. I want to keep all the files I use in one location. I would rather not move any files out of that directory just because OneDrive does not support or is restricted or is limited because of the characters used in the filename (which I do not want to change).

• Megakoresh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very good suggestion. There is no reason why I would have to configure every client on every machine to ignore explicit files if the whole point of OneDrive and cloud sync in general is to have a seamless experience. The file structure should be self-documenting. A gitingore-like method seems like the most sensible solution.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does Microsoft ignore this "ignore" idea?
        The action "you can put your files out of onedrive folder" is not applicable, like I wanna skip index data of sublime or I wanna skip node_modules for my project, they all should be stayed within the folder of sublime or the project folder. There are 7 pages of comments on old idea page requesting this, won't you see? Or is this really hard to implement in some way?
        Right now I have to put an empty folder into the cloud, and choose not to sync this folder, then create a local one. It does work but onedrive will complain that there's been some conflict and it marks all the files in the local folder with a red cross, which is really annoying.
        Hope this idea will get through, although the votes seem to say that people have got upset and gave up on this one.

• Ryan Ries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! I like to store Visual Studio projects on OneDrive so I can work on them from multiple machines, but VS projects produce lots of temp and intermediary junk that isn't important to be synced, and causes sync errors to boot because of the high churn rate, VS locking the file, etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base