OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve OneDrive's security, policy and administration experiences??

Encryption at rest for personal onedrive

Please please enable encryption at rest for personal onedrive accounts too. This is the only thing missing here. I will be forced to move to Dropbox if encryption at rest is not available for onedrive personal

192 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive Italian Support:
        "Files stored in the cloud at rest and during transit are encrypted as indicated in this article.
        By saying that they are not encrypted or non-cryptic, I meant being able to hide them, locally or in the cloud, in case other people had access to your account."

I still do not understand!!
        So what is the difference with onedrive for business?

So data at rest for onedrive consumer with office365 personal / home are encrypted or not?
        I have also used offce365 business essential by opening a report about it and it seems that the data at rest are encrypted only for office365 business. Is it possible to clarify this?

• Christos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As everybody else says.
        Please please please this is a security concern.
        Enable encryption on saved files on your servers.Not only in transit but after they arrive at your servers.

It is really unacceptable that Onedrive personal doesn't offer encryption at rest while other competitors already do. The feature is already available for business users. They must offer it for home users too

• QuestCom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like confirmation that the at-rest encryption is also provided for the personal OneDrive storage that comes with Office 365 Solo in Japan. The only documentation I can find is translations of English Microsoft webpages. These Japanese pages all carry disclaimers that services vary by region. Even the OneDrive email-only help center in Japan didn't now the answer! I find it hard to believe that such basic information on such a fundamental security feature is not readily available in every country.

• Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

According to this article, encryption at rest is for personal OneDrive is done at the server side: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/trustcenter/security/encryption (see the section named “Microsoft Office 365”, but is that what you mean? To my knowledge encryption at rest on the client side is only possible with bitlocker, which would protect both OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. Azure Information Protection is a paid option for businesses which will protect individual files. Having said all of that, I really wish there was a way to encrypt the local OneDrive and OneDrive for Business folder it self, so that other admin users logging on the same machine couldn’t access it.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s ridiculous that Dropbox and google provide at rest encryption but with all Microsoft’s talk of security they don’t think it’s important enough for all their paying customers.

Feedback and Knowledge Base