OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve OneDrive's security, policy and administration experiences??

When deleting and O365 Buisness user, make it easy to move the files/folders to another user.

When an employee that uses OneDrive for Business leaves the organization there should be an option to move their files to another employee (superior, replacement, temporary, etc.).

Instead of having to download and then reupload the files to another user, it should be an option during the user deletion to move the files.

929 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jason A. Lewitinn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recently added the ability to transfer ownership to another user when deleting a user’s account from AAD from the M365 admin portal. If no entry is provided, the default will transfer to the manager. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/retention-and-deletion

The manager or newly assigned owner will have the ability to sync that content or download and then move to a shared library or their own OneDrive.

58 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Elmer Pong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a ridiculous flaw. It is so fundamental in what we do as Admins that I can't believe you don't have this ability. There should have been this ability to transfer ownership years ago. I cannot recommend my users to use OneDrive as opposed to Box without this.

• SGingerich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IT admins need the ability to transfer ownership of OneDrive docs from one user to another easily where the new account takes over, ownership changes and the files are not automatically deleted in 30 days.

I have users that are not computer savvy at all and they get confused as to how to access their own account let alone trying to access, download to move account files elsewhere.

• David Benet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crucial to partners trying to provide a viable service to customers when staff changes inevitably occur

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One key need here is to retain shares\permissions. Right now I see the option to copy\move folders to my (admin) OneDrive or a SharePoint site, but currently those operations break permissions/shares. Box.com does this so easily!

• Chris W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd take this in a different direction. The ability to move the user OneDrive folder into a Sharepoint site would be extremely useful.

For instance, I would use that to script a Staff Termination routing that would do the following:

Convert mailbox to shared mailbox
        Remove Office license(s)
        Move user OneDrive folder to Sharepoint site used for archived data

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My last company used Google in the organization...now that I'm back with a company using Microsoft O365, I cannot believe this isn't an out of the box feature. This should be a standard offboarding function when disabling employees from Office 365/AD.

• Roger Valand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this. Dropbox does have this implemented and this works very well. People leave all the time and it's not always clear to everyone who's the owner. I would appreciate a menu choice next to or incorporated into the share file option, for transferring ownership to another person.

• Bronwyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this there any update / resolution to this feature request? Would like to know if it is on the roadmap?

• Navas Basheer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Embarrassed to see the status of this feature!!! Microsoft is still thinking about this feature. It's been 4 years of thinking!!!!

Dear Microsoft, Black is black and white is white, don't be colourblind!!!

Completely agree with other users. This feature is a must! With Dropbox, it is literally 4 mouse clicks.

• Marcus Santiago commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm literally considering Box over OneDrive because of this feature. Using sharepoint as a team folder is so confusing. It's putting up unnecessary hurdles to drive OneDrive adoption. It's so strange to use a sharepoint widget for folder collaboration. You need to have co owners on folders and make it easy to transfer ownership. Box does it so easily and they make collaboration self service.

MS you are behind your competitors. I can easily transfer ownership in Dropbox, and GoogleDrive. this is a necessary feature for admins to handle departing employees.

• Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still a huge issue for us, at least in the conversation of trying to convince our users to not use alternatives such as Dropbox. Obviously team sites are meant for those types of content, but it is inevitable that OneDrive for Business also ends up being a place where people store a lot of stuff. The result is that we have to move stuff around manually, then reshare it and recreate links, which we then have to redistribute... this confuses users.

It would be much better if all sharing links were unique and not tied to the URL of the owner of the OneDrive folder. Then it could be possible to move folders around or change ownership of it. Just like dropbox...

Please address this as with a company with reasonable turnover of staff, this is a must. Alternatively we need to go back to using file server setup.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base