OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive Developer Platform?

Add custom properties to files in OneDrive (personal/live)

For the OneDrive consumer version it is currently not availlabe to add customer file data (other than tags and comments). For a new app we would like to store some additional metadata for the files that are uploaded.
We would recommend the same approach as https://developers.google.com/drive/v2/reference/properties/insert

93 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    J Markx shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

any chance of seeing a bulk meta data utility for windows/onedrive?

• Beau Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to use the metadata for existing Excel files that are living in PowerBI. Use the Personal Gateway to auto-refresh this data.

The metadata will then allow us to use SharePoint Search and managed properties to map to files in OneDrive, and embed Excel Reports on a page. Currently powerBI api is not strong enough for us to use completely, and want to build around Excel Reports.

You need to add this feature back. I don't understand why you took it away in the first place.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For streaming apps you would store resume timestamps or watched flags

• Itay Sagui commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that a simple key/value pairs mechanism should be enough to begin with for most cases (more advanced scenarios can always "serialize" the value into JSON/XML).
        Supporting some basic value types (Date/time, numeric, Boolean, etc.) might be helpful.

Giving the ability to search/query based on the custom metadata is definitely a must from my point of view. This allows much more advanced scenarios, with much less effort. For example, performing a migration and/or sync between different systems, by keeping the "original" ID of the item...

I would prefer having the ability to display the metadata to the end user. Preferably, giving the developer of apps some control over this (e.g. allow up to a certain number of hidden properties) would be great, since some metadata might not have user-value, but is a must for apps.

Both Google Drive (https://developers.google.com/drive/web/properties) and Box (https://developers.box.com/metadata-api/) support these kind of things, and without this, OneDrive becomes handicapped.

• Mario Mercaldi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Second this - paradigms for pulling resources involve either us keeping a separate resource for filtering (making some kind of relational model file) or the much more preferable approach of having a properties entry for each onedrive item that acts as a collection of key,value pairs.

This would let us query with restrictions on these items instead of having to pull static metadata from every file when we make a request or keep a centralized database file and constantly run into concurrency issues.

I'm working on a large project at the moment and would like to incorporate OneDrive support in addition to the current Google Drive support; the only hang-up is there isn't a place for files to store custom metadata.

• J Markx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my scenario I want to use OneDrive as the storage platform of my app. I need to store some additional metadata for every file to be able to read from my app and to search on. I do not need to see this metadata in OneDrive.

Feedback and Knowledge Base